Office365 Project Meeting Minutes
December 9, 2015 11:00 a.m.-noon
Attendees: Jose Rueda, Lisa Hocevar, Marty Kahn, Kelly Pettit, Heidi King, Pam Eberhardt, David Ulate, Mahmood Hasan, Claire Chang, Deepa Prasad, Linda Koyama
- Review of last meeting's minutes in preparation of Monday's go live:
- Heidi had ADA compliance concerns for the online version of word and uploading templates; she cautioned that
modifications to tables in templates may cause problems for screen readers.
- Heidi's quick start user guide of O365. It will include a grid showing what you can and can't do with word online, mobile
apps and the desktop version. Firefox offers the most options for sharing and it
will be noted that it is the preferred browser. Heidi and Marty will include the
version of Firefox that was used to create the documentation. Heidi will provide
the link to Kelly so that she can update the ETS website and will replace the current
help page. Marty suggested to remind users to turn off the "remember password" feature
on the browser. Heidi will be providing "Getting Started Workshops" noon-1pm for the
second week in January.
- Customized training video: Once Heidi is finished with the user guide, Marty will take her written materials
and use them as a template to create some screen shots with voice over time videos.
Marty said it will be very general and simplified and not version specific. Deadline:
12/14/15. Kelly will update the links to the video when ready.
- Onedrive and Office sync: Documentation will state that it is not available yet.
- Heidi verified that Math Equationeditor in Word is only available on the desktop version.
- Sharon had trouble saving an Onedrive excel spreadsheet in the cloud that was opened
and modified in a desktop version of excel. Heidi believes it is a 2016 problem.
- CAS authentication screen still pops up occasionally after log in-Hasan touched base
with Matt. It is a problem that is difficult to replicate. He feels it may be a
browser issue. Deepa sees it often. She can see no pattern. Deepa will follow up with
Matt when it happens again.
- In the De Anza lab on a shared computer, after logging out, and closing the browser,
the next user logging into MyPortal and launching O365 will see the previous user's
O365 account. Browser must be closed in order to be completely logged out of O365-should
be included in the training video, especially for shared computers. Differences for
closing the browsers for Windows and Mac users should also be included. Sharon will
provide her testing documentation to add to the minutes. Nothing new to report.
- ETS has autoprovisioned accounts for the entire District's 3,600 active employees (Dec.
14th target date at 10 a.m.). It does not include student employees or retirees.
On Monday, Claire will assign the Luminus/MyPortal access them. We need to think about
how we will autoprovision licenses when new employees join the district. 6,400 user
licenses now available.
- Chien is asking the team to further test Windows 10, Edge browser and O365. Chien
will try on his home computer. Nothing new to report.
- Adjunct faculty who teach at several colleges and use O365: Chien will talk with
Joe and both colleges to come up with a policy. Marty is concerned about the lax
network security at other colleges. Judy is compiling documentation to strongly encourage
instructors to use a Learning Management System such as Canvas and Etudes to share
information with their students instead of O365. Our recommendation is to use O365
to collaborate with FHDA faculty and staff and to use a Learning Management System
to share and collaborate
- Document libraries will be provisioned to district groups on an as-needed basis on
a department, division, or college level. Nothing new to report.
- O365 for students. Virtualized desktops will be used at the new education center
in Sunnyvale; how can we provide cloud document storage for students? Concerns: Cost,
maintenance, ownership, management and support, equity issue, security. Tabled for
- Sharon ran into problems with basic formula features in Excel 2016; not ready for new
district computer images. Will need further testing by a pilot group. Update from
Sharon 12/9/15: When the techs were testing the download of the MS office from the
site they said the windows version was not 2016. We have identified many features
and function not working properly in Office 2016 so it is premature to introduce this
to the user community. We don't have any update on the Apple OS Sync feature either
- still not working.
- Chien will send out another email regarding the roll out.
- Defining the deprovisioning process: We need to investigate if the O365 administrator
has access to all the information in everyone's account? Is the information in an
individual account discoverable for legal issues (centralized control, access, backup,
recoverable, and able to monitor). Policy needs to be created. Needs further investigation.
Nothing new to report.
- Action items:
- Sharon will document her testing experience logging into MyPortal and launching O365
and seeing the previous user's O365 account. We will add her solutions in the help
- Deepa will follow up with Matt regarding the CAS page popping up from time to time.
- Is it possible for a training video to play the first time the user accesses O365? Heidi suggested to have a link in MyPortal to the video "First Time Using Office365". Marty is hoping to have something ready by Friday so Claire will have time to add the link on MyPortal. Marty asked for one approver; Hasan suggested Chien. He will run it by Kelly and Heidi before he forwards it to Chien for approval. Heidi suggested to include that it is an evolving and dynamic product and changes are to be expected.
- Sharon will document her testing experience logging into MyPortal and launching O365 and seeing the previous user's O365 account. We will add her solutions in the help document.
- Heidi had ADA compliance concerns for the online version of word and uploading templates; she cautioned that modifications to tables in templates may cause problems for screen readers.