Office365 Project Meeting Minutes
December 2, 2015 11:00 a.m.-noon
Attendees: David Ulate, Sharon Luciw, Lisa Hocevar, Marty Kahn, Chien Shih, Mahmood Hasan, Deepa Prasad, Linda Koyama
- Review of last meeting's minutes:
- Heidi had ADA compliance concerns for the online version of word and uploading templates;
Chien verified that we are in compliance with Microsoft.
- In spite of reminder emails from Chien to our super user group for feedback, we have
not received many comments or complaints.
- Version History: When you are real-time coediting with someone else, there are markers
on the document showing who are making the changes. It is possible to revert back
to a previous version if the updates are not desired. If someone has the document
opened, the document cannot be renamed. Version history will be included in the online
- Onedrive and Office sync: The latest update includes many of the requests we submitted;
unfortunately, for those few who had the desktop sync working, it no longer works
with this latest upgrade.
- Textboxes, images, equations, graphs and charts cannot be edited in word online; it
must be downloaded, modified and then uploaded again to Onedrive. In the viewer it
looks fine but if you try to edit online, your images are gone. More reason to see
sync working. David uses the Math Equationeditor in Word which may not be available
in the online version. He will test it.
- Sharon had trouble saving an Onedrive excel spreadsheet in the cloud that was opened
and modified in a desktop version of excel. May be related to sync. Will make sure
the call center is aware of it in case of calls.
- Customized training video: Most of the written materials have been completed by
Heidi. She's finishing up some documentation for those using Office 2010. Once she
is finished, Marty will take her written materials and use them as a template to create
some screen shots with voice over time videos. Deadline: 12/14/15.
- CAS authentication screen still pops up occasionally after log in-Chien will follow
up with Matt.
- In the De Anza lab on a shared computer, after logging out, and closing the browser,
the next user logging into MyPortal and launching O365 will see the previous user's
O365 account. Browser must be closed in order to be completely logged out of O365-should
be included in the training video, especially for shared computers. Differences for
closing the browsers for Windows and Mac users should also be included. Sharon will
provide her testing documentation to add to the minutes.
- ETS is working on autoprovisioning for the entire District's 3,600 users (Dec. 14th
target date at 10 a.m.). We need to think about how we will autoprovision licenses
when new employees join the district. 6,400 user licenses now available.
- Chien is asking the team to further test Windows 10, Edge browser and O365. Chien
will try on his home computer.
- Adjunct faculty who teach at several colleges and use O365: Chien will talk with
Joe and both colleges to come up with a policy. Marty is concerned about the lax
network security at other colleges. Judy is compiling documentation to strongly encourage
instructors to use a Learning Management System such as Canvas and Etudes to share
information with their students instead of O365.
- Heidi is composing a quick start user guide of O365. We can add her documentation
to our help page. Heidi will be providing "Getting Started Workshops" noon-1pm for
the first two weeks in January.
- Document libraries will be provisioned to district groups on an as-needed basis on
a department, division, or college level.
- O365 for students. Virtualized desktops will be used at the new education center
in Sunnyvale; how can we provide cloud document storage for students? Concerns: Cost,
maintenance, ownership, management and support, equity issue, security. Tabled for
further discussion. Nothing new to report.
- Sharon ran into problems with basic formula features in Excel 2016; not ready for new district computer images. Will need further testing by a pilot group.
- We reviewed and made edits to the draft letter Chien will be sending to all district employees to announce the rollout. A week from today, Chien will send another detailed instructions on where to find the channel and how to launch O365.
- Defining the deprovisioning process: We need to investigate if the O365 administrator
has access to all the information in everyone's account? Is the information in an
individual account discoverable for legal issues (centralized control, access, backup,
recoverable, and able to monitor). Policy needs to be created. Needs further investigation.
- Action items:
- Sharon will document her testing experience logging into MyPortal and launching O365
and seeing the previous user's O365 account. We will add her solutions in the help
- We need to test 2016 Mac and Windows version for sync; tech services are continuing to test.
- Chien will follow up with Matt regarding the CAS page popping up from time to time.
- Sharon's group will continue to test Excel 2016.
- We will add another tile under the "Getting Help" and "What's New" tiles for Office365.
- Is it possible for a training video to play the first time the user accesses O365?
- Sharon will document her testing experience logging into MyPortal and launching O365 and seeing the previous user's O365 account. We will add her solutions in the help document.
- Heidi had ADA compliance concerns for the online version of word and uploading templates; Chien verified that we are in compliance with Microsoft.